What's missing in Google's AI vision


Google I/O made one thing clear, Google is about AI. That is their primary focus. If you want you can ignore all discussions about success/failure of Allo, Duo, Android, Chrome OS etc. AI is their big bet. As Sundar Pichai noted they are just getting started and the road is long and hard. Therefore it's a good time to mark a part that's obviously missing until now. That part is the protection of the privacy of their customers but also the control they have on their own information, how that is handled and used. I really look forward to the vision of a smart home with Google assistant where everybody can use his/her voice to order pizza, turn on the lights, ask what's on TV tonight, plan a meeting with my friends and more of such things. However i want some level of control on my "profile", which becomes really a lot richer then the traditional profile on current websites/apps. It learns from all the conservations and my behaviour, it's almost a quantified abstraction of myself. More garantuees on the protection of my information and more controls how it's being used by Google are necessary. The current "MyAccount" page won't do. The dilemma is that Google wants to use all the data it can get it's hands on from me, to improve it's AI algorithms and knowledge about me. But the only level of "trust" they offer is, please trust Google as an organisation. And although i really like and value the company, that's a bit too much to ask. I would like something extra. Separate technical arrangements/ garantuees with crypto, maybe third party/independent oversight or a combination of things. Governments at national and EU level should be involved. Because a solution for this should be found in a framework with both people, companies and government. To create a win-win situation for the world because i am convinced AI can improve the world we live in. I hope Google will start working on this in the coming year.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Olympische mashup

De Medvedev doctrine en de amerikaanse strategie

En nog een profiel....